Council rejects homes plan at former Ollerton Nursery site | Knutsford Times

Council rejects homes plan at former Ollerton Nursery site

By on May 20, 2018

Councillors have rejected a scheme to build new homes at the former Ollerton Nursery.

17 houses were planned on the greenbelt site, which has previously been rejected after a proposal for a 26-home development was presented to Cheshire East Council last year.

Simon Noblet, the scheme’s architect, said the revised scheme would ‘sit comfortably within its surroundings’.

 

Cllr Simon Saba said the new homes would harm the openness of the village’s greenbelt and stretch its infrastructure, adding:

“Restoring the land – which is far from derelict – with a housing development does not outweigh the harm to the greenbelt. The parish has already provided 14 affordable homes, and recently nine dwellings have been completed – some of which are still available for sale. Development on this scale is neither desired nor needed in the parish.”

20 objections were submitted, with an additional 17 letters of support.

Twenty objections had been sent to CEC against the proposal, which included six affordable homes, while 17 letters of support were sent to the council.

 

Councillors rejected the scheme by nine votes to one, with two abstentions.

About Lucy Thorpe

Lucy Thorpe is a freelance journalist who writes for the Knutsford Times - covering stories and news in and around Cheshire and Greater Manchester. If you've got a story to share, or would like to speak to Lucy, please email news@knutsfordtimes.co.uk

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Real Time Analytics