Here's how to stay safe this Hallowe'en say Cheshire firefighters | Knutsford Times

Here’s how to stay safe this Hallowe’en say Cheshire firefighters

By on October 27, 2018

Cheshire firefighters want you to enjoy Hallowe’en and all its spooky fun, but also want you to be aware of the potential dangers from fire to keep you safe.

Most people, young and old, like to dress up for the occasion, but some outfits can be extremely flammable. Keep away from candles or other naked flames and use battery operated lights in pumpkins, which are much safer than candles.

Head of prevention at Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, Nick Evans, said: “We want everyone to have fun, but it is also important to remember that Hallowe’en costumes can be extremely flammable. Check the labelling in any costumes you buy, and tell your child to take care when near an open flame.”

If your clothes do catch fire, you need to stop, drop and roll.

*   Stop where you are. Do not run. Running can make things worse.

*   Drop to the ground. Lay flat with your legs out straight.

*   Cover your eyes and mouth with your hands.

*   Roll over and over and back and forth until the flames are out.

*   Get help straight away.

You might be thinking of creating a ghoulish atmosphere in your home with plenty of candles and spooky decorations. While you may be keen to turn your home into a creepy dungeon, remember the likes of fake cobwebs can be extremely flammable, so make sure you include fire prevention in your creative plan, keeping highly flammable decorations away from flames. Better still use battery powered candles instead.

If you do use candles, make sure you take extra care and follow these tips:

*   Always extinguish candles before moving them.

*   Always use a suitable holder when burning candles

*   Keep clothes and hair away from the naked flame.

*   Candles should always be sited out of the reach of children and pets.

*   Put candles on a heat-resistant surface (note – TVs are not fire resistant objects).

*   Extinguish candles before you leave a room and never go to sleep with a candle still burning.

Nick Evans concluded: “Whatever you do this Hallowe’en, please make sure you do it safely and take our advice on board.”

About Lucy Thorpe

Lucy Thorpe is a freelance journalist who writes for the Knutsford Times - covering stories and news in and around Cheshire and Greater Manchester. If you've got a story to share, or would like to speak to Lucy, please email

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Real Time Analytics