Candle safety warning ahead of Valentine's Day | Knutsford Times

Candle safety warning ahead of Valentine’s Day

By on February 12, 2019

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people ahead of Valentine’s Day about the importance of candle safety.

You don’t want your perfect evening going up in smoke so please make sure you follow the service’s advice on how to avoid a candle fire.

Candle fires result in around 350 casualties in the UK each year with nearly 40% of all fires started by candles resulting in a death or injury.

Head of Prevention at Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, Nick Evans, said: “People might try and create romantic atmosphere by lighting candles but you need to make sure that you do it safely. Setting fire to your curtains isn’t going to set the right mood.

“Please make sure that you do not leave lit candles unattended and put them out before you leave a room. Put candles on a stable surface where they can’t be knocked over and keep them away from any flammable items such as curtains, furniture, bedding or books.”

To help you appreciate your candles safely, here are some tips for this Valentine’s Day:

• Never leave lit candles unattended. Put burning candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re out completely at night.

• Place your candles carefully. Make sure they are on a stable surface, out of the reach of pets and children, and keep them away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture, bedding and books.

• Don’t move candles once they are lit

• Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare

• Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, out of drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, soot, and dripping.

• Put candles out with a snuffer or a spoon – sparks can fly if you blow them out.

• Always put scented candles in a heat resistant holder. These candles are designed to liquify when heated to maximise fragrance.

• Fit a smoke alarm and test it regularly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.

• Make sure that everyone in your home knows what to do if a fire should occur – practise your escape route.

About Lucy Thorpe

Lucy Thorpe is a freelance journalist who writes for the Knutsford Times - covering stories and news in and around Cheshire and Greater Manchester. If you've got a story to share, or would like to speak to Lucy, please email

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Real Time Analytics