- Sytner Group to open purpose built service centre in Knutsford
- Apprenticeship event hailed success by MP
- Moto employees in Knutsford help to raise £2m in support of Help for Heroes
- Cheshire & Warrington outline ambition to create world’s first zero carbon industry cluster
- Local Digital Skills Partnership announced for Cheshire and Warrington
Jodrell Bank host huge programme of events for 2019
Jodrell Bank has a bumper events programme for 2019 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landings.
The Observatory is offering a variety of different events throughout the year.
Moon Landing 50th will run throughout 2019, and will include stargazing nights and live science shows, as well as new activities, including a moon photography competition and community reminiscence sessions. There will also be a moon-themed Girls Night Out in October and a series of Lovell Lectures exploring the history and future of space travel.
Bluedot festival is also taking place in July.
Julia Riley, head of engagement at Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre said: “We’re very excited to announce parts of our year-round programme of celebrations for this important anniversary. 2019 is such an exciting year for us, and we’re looking forward to engaging our communities with a wealth of new events and activities.”
The attraction has published much of its Moon Landing 50th programme online, with more anticipated to follow later in the year.
For now families can plan ahead and look forward to a range of fun-filled and fact-packed ways to get involved:
- Highlights include two new Stargazing Nights on February 15 and March 29, and two new moon-themed Live Science Shows running through May half-term (Lift Off!, May 28 – 31) and summer holidays (Moon, July 29 – August 30).
- Families visiting Jodrell Bank in the summer will also be able to get their hands on real pieces of the Moon brought back by Apollo astronauts (Moon rock and meteorites, July 29 – August 30).
- Meanwhile, the Centre will present its first Rocket Lab (May 25 – 27 and July 29 – August 30) – hands-on activities about rocket science.
- There’s fun for under 7s too with Tiny Astronauts (May 28 – 31 May and July 29 – August 30) – a drop-in session for budding young astronauts keen to explore our solar system.
- A special Girls Night Out event takes place on October 25, welcoming Dr Katie Joy from the University of Manchester, who will talk about her work as a planetary scientist, with a special focus on the Moon and meteorites.
- Groups are also encouraged to take part in the celebrations by booking a special visit to Jodrell Bank to enjoy the new groups talk, One Giant Leap 0 using archive audio-visual footage, the talk tells the inspirational story of Jodrell Bank and its role in the race to the Moon. Photography by Howard Barlow for Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre