This was part of voluntary group Friends of the Moor’s exhibition to celebrate the award of a Green Flag, a mark of excellence for parks and open spaces.
Joan is an old Knutsfordian and recollected that as a child she fished for sticklebacks in the River Lily, whose course has now changed – a section once flowed towards Tatton and disappeared in an area of sticky red mud, which swallowed conkers from the tree above, to the children’s dismay. Joan talked of the Moor’s early history from the legendary connection with King Canute, through years of attempted drainage
( it was used for grazing, as a rifle range, a landscaped pool area and for recreation) to its lowest point as the town rubbish tip.! Since 1959, Knutsford Urban District Council, Macclesfield Borough Council and now Cheshire East, along with voluntary organisations the Knutsford Society and Friends of the Moor have worked hard to make it a peaceful pleasant area for recreation again.
On behalf of everyone who came, Friends of the Moor would like to thank Joan for her talk with pictures and maps, Vivien Davies, (FOTM Vice-Chairman) for organising tea and cakes and the Heritage Centre for housing both the talk and the exhibition which will continue until 12th September.
Joan Leach’s booklet on the History of the Moor is available free at the exhibition, and can also be downloaded from the Knutsford Times website. Friends of the Moor would also like to know hear about your stories of the Moor (email them to secretary(at)friendsofthemoor.org.uk)