Soaked iPhone? Steve offers readers some good tech saving tips.
One common problem I fix is repairing an iPhone that has been dropped in water.
This is an issue that is not covered under Apples Warranty or Apple Care. If you drop your phone in the bath, or leave it in a steamy bathroom you can end up with limited options. If you take your iPhone back to the Apple Store or your mobile supplier, don’t lie as they will find you out. This is because the iPhone has ‘Liquid Submersion Indicators’ inside it that will turn pink on contact with water. This will give you away!
Thankfully all is not lost, but there are some basic tips you can follow to give you the best chance of getting your phone working again.
- Do not plug in your iPhone to try and restart
- Wipe off the liquid and gently shake the iPhone to clear ports and sockets
- If possible take your SIM out of your phone and place it in a temporary phone
- Pack the iPhone in a sealed plastic bag, safely nestled in packets of Silica gel (those little packets found in new handbags or shoe boxes) and store it in a dry place for three days
- If you can’t get hold of Silica gel quickly place your iPhone in a bag or a box of uncooked rice and reseal it. Transfer the phone to the Silica gel bags when you get them
- Finally connect up your iPhone to your PC, load up iTunes and try to do a complete Restore.
If you do all of the above you have the best chance of getting the iPhone to its pre-drenched working state. If you find all of the above too much hassle, you can contact me and I’ll do my best to get your phone working again.
About Steve’s company: At Sach iPhone Repair I can help you when that dreaded moment occurs- you drop your iPhone and crack the screen! I offer a speedy, budget friendly service where I can get you and your phone back together in no time at all. I am based in Knutsford and will come to you at your place of work or home if you cannot get to me. Most repairs can be done in under an hour, meaning you are not without your phone for too long.