KRFC v Helsby challenge | Knutsford Times

KRFC v Helsby challenge

By on September 21, 2009

The opening 10 minutes of the game did not reflect what was to follow as Helsby started the match on the front foot and had Knutsford encamped in their own 22. Eventually, captain Mooney kicked them to a good field position. From the resulting lineout, Knutsford’s backs rushed Helsby, and after a great tackle and turnover ball from Jones, Mooney put Thompson into the corner to put the hosts 5 nil ahead.

Shortly after, following a near miss in the corner from Edmonds, Mooney took a quick 22 drop deep into Helsby’s half. Knutsford’s defence again rushed and turned the ball over and Mooney was there to finish the move to make it 10 nil.

The tries were now coming thick and fast, and after Kemp had won a scrum against the head on Helsby’s 5 metre line, the ball came out the back line for Lockett to finish under the posts. Out half Elleray converted. 17 – 0.

A further period of pressure from Knutsford saw Dawson go over the line in his first start for the 1’s this season. Again Elleray converted. 24 – 0.

Before the half was over Knutsford pilled further misery on Helsby. A quick tap penalty from Mooney on Helsby’s 22 and with numbers over, Mooney looped a pass to Coulbeck for the second row man to go over. Elleray converted.

Half Time Knutsford 31 Helsby 0

The second half started with Knutsford consolidating their position with a well taken penalty kick from Elleray. However, after a scrappy lineout in the Knutsford 22, Helsby stole the ball and their scrum half darted in below the posts to score a converted try. 34 – 7.

Any hopes of a Helsby recovery were dashed after a prolonged period of pressure by Knutsford in the Helsby 22 saw Edmonds pounce on a loose ball at the back of a ruck and the big number 8 powered through 2 tackles to score under the posts. 41 – 7.

The match then turned a little scrappy, but eventually another period of pressure from Knutsford, in particular some good ball carrying from man of the match Robertson saw them awarded a penalty on the Helsby 5. The combination of Mooney and Coulbeck again combined for the latter to crash over for his second of the game. 48 – 7.

The game had 2 more tries, one for either side, the final try for Knutsford saw Mooney score in the corner after another win against the head by Kemp and a strong pick and go by debutant Dunkerley.

Full time Knutsford 53 Helsby 14

This Saturday Knutsford’s 1sts and 2nds are at home in a double header, the seconds against Stockport, while the firsts face Ramsey in the league – both teams have 100% records, something’s got to give!

About Robin Maxwell

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Real Time Analytics