The late late show – Video report included | Knutsford Times

The late late show – Video report included

By on September 28, 2009

The contest started fairly evenly, but Ramsey drew first blood with an early penalty in front of the posts. The game then swung in Knutsford’s direction.

A double miss pass from Mooney to Walker saw Jones and Maxwell rucking over and quick distribution from Mooney to Layzell saw the number 8 put winger Davenport in the corner for an unconverted try.

Davenport almost doubled his try count for the day after a strong run from Coulbeck who then fed Dawson but Dawson’s pass to Davenport was adjudged to be forward.

Shortly after Ramsey put themselves ahead again when their centre went over the line after they loaded the blindside and outnumbered the Knutsford defence. The conversion was missed.

Mooney then reduced the deficit for Knutsford after converting a penalty following some good running from the returning Fishburne.

Overall, the first half was controlled by the away side, they were dominating in the line and scrum and Ramsey powered home their advantage just before half time. A combination of some nice running from Ramsey and poor Knutsford defending allowed them to score under the posts and the try was duly converted.

Half Time Knutsford 8 Ramsey 15

The second half was generally dominated by Knutsford but they could not convert the positive pressure into points as the Ramsey defence stood firm and the game looked like it was heading for a victory for the Manx men.

However the game came to life again with less than 5 minutes left on the clock. Knutsford surged forward with a series of pick and go rucking. Eventually, with the Ramsey defence in disarray, from the back of a ruck Maxwell picked out Davenport who timed his pass to Jones for the big centre to squeeze in on the corner. From the touchline Mooney somehow managed to convert. With 2 minutes left on the clock the score was 12 – 15

The Knutsford team realised that it was win or bust time and again they charged into the Ramsey half. However, after a series of penalty awards which Knutsford attempted to convert into a winning try, it seemed their luck was out as Ramsey won a turnover ball in their own 22.

With time up, all that was required was a steady head to kick the ball into touch and the game was over. Unfortunately nerves got the better of one of the Ramsey 15 as he deliberately passed the ball straight out – a penalty to Knutsford on the touchline! Time for captain Mooney to step up and he duly converted the penalty from a near impossible angle to send the large home crowd into raptures!

Full Time Knutsford 15 Ramsey 15

Commenting on the game Mooney said that Ramsey probably deserved the win, but he was very proud of the second half performance that his players had produced after what was an unacceptable first half. The draw did come at a cost to Knutsford with the influential duo of Coulbeck and Edmonds going off with concerning injuries along with young Kemp who was cementing his place in the front row but now faces a lengthy lay off.  Next week the 1sts are away to Prenton in the league.


About Robin Maxwell

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Real Time Analytics