Big Crowd Fails To Ignite The Knutsford Knights | Knutsford Times

Big Crowd Fails To Ignite The Knutsford Knights

By on October 19, 2009

Like all league games this term, Knutsford started the game brightly and passed the ball with confidence that belied their league position. The graceful Duncan Nickless was causing the Wrexham left back constant problems and the ebullient Simon Trenbrith dictated the pattern of the game for 20 minutes.

At this point, Knutsford succumbed to one of the great Westfield Drive goals. A stunning passing move ended with a killer ball being arrowed into the D at great pace for Ieuan Jones to magnificently divert the ball passed a dumbfounded Simon McCoy.

This gave the Welsh outfit renewed confidence to attach the Knutsford goal and they began to play some eye-catching hockey. The home side managed to repel these waves of attacks with some stout defending, some particularly strong tackles coming from the wily veteran Mark Fletcher.

Fortes fortuna adiuvat (Fortune favours the brave) is the Wrexham motto and it was very apt as they doubled their lead just before half-time. Huw Jones mishit his shot but the ball fell fortuitously to Dafydd Jones to convert the ball past a startled McCoy.

The home side paraded their celebrated former players at half time to commemorate the clubs 99th year as a prelude to next years centenary celebrations. Although aggrieved at their ill luck, skipper Hodge rallied the troops by announcing that “Every man is the artisan of his own fortune. Fortune is glass; just when it gleams brightest it shatters”

Knutsford nearly managed to claw their way back into the game as Nickless won a penalty flick. However, this team are low on confidence and Trenbrith missed his first flick in a decade by striking the metalwork.

Knutsford created a number of openings that they could not convert and soon after this Geraint Jones exploited the spaces opening up in Knutsford’s defence to score a cheap goal.

The game was gone, and the visitors began to treat the large crowd to a hockey exhibition. Some of their play was sensational simplicity. One passing move lasted 2 minutes and a goal was only narrowly averted with a last ditch tackle from Mike Anderson on Selwyn Jones.

“The one safety for the vanquished is to abandon hope of safety. Knowing there is no hope can give one the courage to fight and win.” Knutsford tried hard to follow manager Paul Armstrong’s famous mantra and give their supporters something to cheer, but it proved counter productive. A fifth goal was conceded when Mostyn Jones was allowed to turn in the D and pass the ball modestly into the goal.

With only moments left Gwarthegydd Jones put the icing on the cake for Welsh side with a stunning finish that left the supporters agog.

The teams adjourned to the ex-players post match event back at CrossTown bowling club and club Chairman Howard Taylor sympathised with the team “The lads were 2-0 down at half time but had not put a foot wrong. They will turn this around as the 6-0 scoreline was not a fair reflection of the performance.”

It is said that for a sick man, there is hope as long as there is life. The Knutsford squad will need to take this solace to Liverpool Sefton on Saturday.

About Janice Tasho

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Real Time Analytics