Firefighters urge parents to pass of cooking safety tips this half term | Knutsford Times

Firefighters urge parents to pass of cooking safety tips this half term

By on February 14, 2019

During the February half term, many children across Cheshire will be spending more time in the kitchen.

But whether they are lending a hand or seeking a snack it is important to make sure that they know the hazards of a hot hob.

So as part of the national fire safety campaign, Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service is encouraging parents and carers to make any kitchen activities a chance for children to learn about cooking safety.

Nick Evans, Head of Prevention for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “There are lots of creative ways to teach kids about cooking safety. And, it’s absolutely vital that they know what to do if the worst should happen.

“So alongside the melting, mixing and making, why not take the chance to pass on some fire safety tips. Take the time to test your smoke alarms as part of the activity. And remember; never leave a child alone with a hot hob. Keep them safe by moving matches and saucepan handles out of their reach.”

And children don’t have to be in the kitchen to change the way you work – distraction while cooking is a main cause of fire call-outs right across the country.

Nick added: “Half of all accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen – often because of distractions like phone call or family. So whatever happens elsewhere in your home, always make sure you have an eye on the oven.”

Top tips for cooking include:

• Always clean the grill pan after using it to avoid a build-up of fat and oil in your grill pan

• Do not leave cooking unattended – a forgotten pan can lead to disaster

• If cooking oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot – turn off the heat and leave it to cool

• Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer instead of a chip pan as they can’t overheat

• Never throw water on a chip pan fire

• Keep tea towels and cloths away from grills and hobs

• Don’t start cooking if you have had alcohol or are really tired.

What to do if a pan catches fire:

Don’t take any risks. Turn the heat off if it is safe to do so.

NEVER throw water over it. Don’t tackle the fire yourself – Get Out, Stay Out, Call 999.

About Lucy Thorpe

Lucy Thorpe is a freelance journalist who writes for the Knutsford Times - covering stories and news in and around Cheshire and Greater Manchester. If you've got a story to share, or would like to speak to Lucy, please email

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Real Time Analytics