Knutsford fight off strong attacking force. | Knutsford Times

Knutsford fight off strong attacking force.

By on April 8, 2009

Knutsford, bucking the trend of recent weeks, started excpetionally well with some solid drives and nice passing. Tom Thomson was put clear by Tom Coulbeck but he lost the ball forward just before the line. It was Ellesmere port that got on the scoresheet first as they crashed over from short range following a series of unforced errors and penalties. Chris Edmonds leapt like a Salmon from the resulting kick off and Knutsford made good ground with Richard Lockett breaking the line. Oli Mooney put a grubber kick through the defence for Tom Thomson. The kick was fumbled and Thomson gathered to dive over in the corner.

The Pendulum however was to swing again as Knutsford lost the ball from the next restart. With forwards against backs in defence Coulbeck made an error in defence and the Ellesmere port Centre ran in unopposed. The try was converted. Knutsford finished the half with Lockett, Dan Layzell, Robin Maxwell and Ed Bond all going close to score. A penalty from Mooney closed the gap to 12-8 at half time.

Buoyed by the spirit and positive attitude from the first half, with the added bonus of the vociferous crowd, the hill and the wind (who could want more!) Knutsford turned up the heat on their opponents to score four more tries.

Chris Perry, now settled into a regular birth in the Second row spotted Mooney on a typical blind side burst to take a scoring pass and score in the corner. Knutsford buylt their advantage through Mooney and fly half Duncan Selkirk kicking into the corners. Tom Irvine, Sam Fishburne and Giles Robertson were putting in the hard yards up front, while Rick Walker and Liam Murphy ensured that play did not remain in the Knutsford half for long. Finally after an extended visit to the Ellesmere Port 22, a penalty resulted in Robin Maxwell crashing over. Mooney added the conversion.

Knutsford were unfortunate not to have at least a one man advantage as the game was stopped several times, however the offences went unpunished and this would prove marr the game later on. Selkirk also crashed over from a penalty, but the referee claimed the ball was held up, although no defenders had got under the unfortunate fly half. Coulbeck was replaced by the freshest of legs in  Guy Wolstencroft on 60 minutes. Knutsford were looking for a ruthless performance and Chris Edmonds capped a good game at 7, by pipping Wolstencroft to a score following a knock on in the Ellesmere defence. Yet another penalty,conceded in the red zone, went without a card, but Selkirks quick thinking earned him a deserved try. Mooney converted.

The frustrations of the visitors eventually boiled over and with two minutes remaining the referee decided to call time. Knutsford excelled in victory and the excuberent clubhouse delighted in watching the teams elder statesman Lockett, take 60 seconds downing a pint to cap a man of the match performance.

Offsite links

Visit Knutsford Rugby Club:
Full match gallery:
Jonathan Farber Photography:

About Tom Coulbeck

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Real Time Analytics